Monday, January 11, 2016

How Netflix Took over My Life

This is my first post for my Media and Family Development class. I will be going back and forth between personal blogs and assignment blogs. For my media class, I am to blog regarding media-related content, what I notice about it, and how it is integrated in our lives. Yesterday, I completed a media-free day and was amazed by how much media is infused into every aspect of my life...and furthermore, how vulnerable I felt without my technology for the day.

Image result for netflix logoTo give a brief history of my media experiences, I have never been super up with the times when it comes to technology-I'm usually 3 years behind or so. I never have enjoyed video games, but movies are usually my guilty pleasure. However, ever since I got married and inherited a Netflix account, I have found more time sucked out of my life than I ever thought possible. Instead of the usual DVD I pop in, I have opened a world of limitless shows that have no commercials. The Flash and the Arrow have become my drug of choice. Christmas break was binge break, and I watched several seasons of both shows, which is most unlike me. I found that I became obsessed with these shows, even to the extent that I was dreaming about them at night. I just finally got caught up with the series present-time and wait on baited breath until the new episodes come out on January 20th and 21st.

9 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience to your media-free day when my power went out last week and our google fiber turned off. I couldn't do my homework assignment that required readings from the internet. "That's okay!" I thought, "I'll look up tonights dinner recipe!" Nope. "Well, at least I can update our budget." Nope. All hope of being productive was gone. And I couldn't even be non-productive by wandering around on my favorite internet playgrounds like Pinterest, Taste of Home, and npr. So. I cleaned. And finally hung those pictures. It was so refreshing. Interesting how dependent and consumed we normally are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, I like your perspective of what happen when your power went out. We really are constantly consumed by media. At least for me, I'm always waiting to be entertained by the next thing. Music is my guilty pleasure, and always have it playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also become a Netflix enthusiast, addicted to the show Friends. I've already seen the entire series multiple times, but it is hard to stop. I feel ridiculous that I feel like I've accomplished something once I've finished a series, or even a season, when in reality I've just wasted hours of my life, but I'm working on it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your phrase "binge break". Great way to describe how it went for many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam! I totally agree with you. I watched a fair amount of Netflix before I got married but now that we have our own account it is so much easier to let it consume your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally relate about Christmas break. I don't have Netflix, but with Amazon Prime Video and my parents' OnDemand account, I still have lots of viewing options that can easily take over my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been noticing lately exactly how much Netflix I watch. I watch it while I make dinner, while I clean, while I eat, and when I'm not doing anything else. I have definitely watched way more since I got married as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I am the same! When I got married, I started using my husband's Netflix account and it was downhill from there. Haha not downhill, but it totally consumes my life. I don't think it's a totally bad thing because it really helps my husband and I relax after a long day of school! But I should probably be monitoring it better so it doesn't take over our lives more than it already has! Haha thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate! I use to share a Netflix account with my roommate so I would feel bad if I was constantly watching on her account that she paid for. When I finally got my own account I noticed that the amount of Netflix I watch steadily increased and it was taking away time that I should have spent doing homework.

    ReplyDelete