Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"My gift is my song...and this one's for you"

Image result for you are loved lyrics josh grobanThis is blog #3 for my awesome media class. Today in class we talked about music and the power it has on us spiritually--for better or for worse, academically, and personally with the very shaping of our identities. I know I just posted on music, but I feel the need to discuss it again differently. The last thing our professor asked us to do in class today was to pick a song that would sum up our lives. As I was thinking about it, this song popped into my mind. I hope that if I were to leave this earth at any given moment that people would hear the words of Josh Groban: "You are Loved" and think of me and the interactions they had with me. I decided and reaffirmed today that I want my every encounter with every single person I come in contact with to have some of the same impact that this song has on me. That decision led me down a different thought process as well: If my words should be powerful, uplifting, kind, inspiring, and motivating (as the Savior taught), shouldn't the music I listen to reflect those same feelings? In my mind, what I receive in my life will determine what I give others, and I want to give the best from within me.

Just some food for thought...and for your enjoyment, here are the words to Josh Groban's song (also check out the link above for the music video):

Don't give up
It's just the weight of the world
When your heart's heavy
I...I will lift it for you

Don't give up
Because you want to be heard
If silence keeps you
I...I will break it for you

Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved

Don't give up
It's just the hurt that you hide
When you're lost inside
I...I will be there to find you

Don't give up
Because you want to burn bright
If darkness blinds you
I...I will shine to guide you

Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved

You are loved
Don't give up
It's just the weight of the world
Don't give up
Every one needs to be heard
You are loved

3 comments:

  1. I love this song! What a wonderful choice choice! I find this song to be very powerful and moving. I really like that you mentioned that what we listen to should reflect what we say in our daily lives. It motivates me to listen to music that encourages me to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insight! This is a great song! I think we all could learn a little bit from the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also very moved by that lecture in class. I think we use media so often for so many different reasons that we forget the impact simple things like music and lyrics may have on our attitudes and behaviors towards others. Cheers to wanting to be more kind.

    ReplyDelete