Monday, March 28, 2016

Parting in Such Sweet Sorrow...

I'm going to try to not be too melodramatic in this post, but I literally just watched the last episode of my all time favorite show thirty seconds ago. Alas, "Hart of Dixie" has now ended, and I literally teared up during the last 5 minutes. They did such an amazing job in wrapping up the show. I'm literally still basking in chills. They ended the show with a song showing how everyone ended up with whom they should be with, and the whole town was happy and dancing and singing. Then after the credits rolled, I literally felt nigh unto depressed that I would never live in Blue Bell (the fictional city the show takes place in); I would never hang out with these characters again. Then, I seriously started thinking about my life. Why am I so deeply vested in fictional characters in a fictional place with fictional lives? Since when has television become the master of my emotions? There are so many things in my life worth getting vested in emotionally in a positive manner. If I could throw half of my passion for that show into my work, I think my work engagement would be through the roof. If someone figures out a way to transfer that energy, please let me know. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Isn't interesting how attached we get to the shows? Just thinking about it maybe we get attached because we see the big picture, we hear their internal thoughts and see the emotions they put into events in their lives. Maybe if we got to know those around us better and understood their thoughts we would get attached to them and their successes and failures just as much as fictional characters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an entertaining post! I felt the exact same way about Parks & Recreation. I recently watched the series finale and I felt way too many emotions. I literally felt like I was losing friends that I had become deeply attached to. If you figure out that secret, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely know that feeling. I have the problem where a lot of the shows I really enjoy get cancelled after just a few seasons. I think a large part of it is when you know someone (even a fictional someone) really well, it's hard to not feel attached. It's the way we're wired. And a show that is on for seasons, you really get to see the character development and you know them as well as some of your best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY feel you! It is definitely akin to a hangover. :) And then you have this empty hole and this desire to fill it with even more characters... *cue binge watching a new show*. I'm glad other people feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny that you say that because I feel the same way but instead of TV shows, it's books. The book that I've had the most attachment to was, believe it or not, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. By the time I got through that hefty book (I don't care for the play or movie), I had developed such a love for Valjean, Cosette, and Marius. I think the answer to your question is does what you invest your time in motivate you to be a better person? There's nothing wrong with being deeply invested in something, but does it edify and build you up, or is it just a form of vegetating. After finishing Les Miserables I wanted to be a better father towards my children, and it made me realize how fickle life can be. Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete